My blog shares music, movies, fashion, food, history, animals and people that I think are exciting. Heavy emphasis on all things girly. I love fashion from the 18th and 19th centuries. I grew up young and impressionable in the 80's and did alot of musical theater.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday


When I was a kid Ash Wednesday was a mystery. We all got trooped into church & ashes X'd on our foreheads. Public school kids asked "Why do they put dirt on your heads?" Lots of kids shrugged. I said, "So we think about Jesus." It seemed like the simplest answer. You don't need dirt on your head to think about Jesus. It does seem like without some kind of visual aid He tends to fall into the background. Even at His own birthday party, Jesus sometimes seems less like Guest of Honor and more like Party Guest Number Four.


Anyway, I want to think about Jesus alot. Why? Because He thought of me first. He loves us so much. What is more alluring than being loved? Nothing I can think of. I found a short writing called God Went To Beauty School...it's not scriptural or anything but it does have that love & curiosity for us that God seems to have. He always seeks us, that's why we don't have to look very far to find Him.


God Went To Beauty School

Cynthia Rylant


He went there to learn how

to give a good perm

and ended up just crazy

about nails

so He opened up His own shop.

"Nails by Jim" he called it.

He was afraid to call it

Nails by God.

He was sure people would

think He was being

disrespectful and using

His own name in vain

and nobody would tip.

He got into nails, of course,

because He'd always loved hands-

hands were some of the best things

He'd ever done

and this way He could just

hold one in His

and admire those delicate

bones just above the knuckles,

delicate as bird's wings,

and after He'd done that awhile,

He could paint all the nails

any color He wanted,

then say "Beautiful,"

and mean it.




No comments:

Post a Comment