My blog shares music, movies, fashion, food, history, animals and people that I think are exciting. Heavy emphasis on all things girly. I love fashion from the 18th and 19th centuries. I grew up young and impressionable in the 80's and did alot of musical theater.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Japanese Fashion: Lolita, Mori, Dolly Kei & Country Lolita

Okay, so every blog about Lolita fashion has to say that this fashion has nothing to do with that Nabakov book and everything to do with looking old fashioned, frilly, cute & sweet. Lolita fashion usually seems to have bell shaped full skirts with petticoats, bows, puff sleeves, lace, stockings. Alice in Wonderland & Marie Antoinette are style icons. Classic Lolita is more muted colors & prints while sweet lolita pushes the sugar level high. Country lolita is more about cottons than silks, woven baskets over purses, and straw bonnets over fabric. There's waaay more types but these are the ones I like best.
I admire lolita fashion as a way of celebrating femininity & joy in a modest not overtly sexual way. I prefer handmade things...groups that seem to care more about following rules rigidly or being covered in head-to-toe brand don't seem fun at all. I'd never wear this style in everyday life because I'm way too old. I'd look like that crazy lady from Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? LOL Although I did wear a Marie Antoinette Bo-Peep inspired outfit to renfaire that has alot of lolita elements in it. The feedback I got from people was nothing short of amazing! People smiled, waved, came up to me & talked, some little girls called me "a princess" and many people asked nicely to photograph me, including a group of young gay men who posed with me for pics & made me feel so special! LOL So, my experiences have been really great even if they are limited.
For everyday, I tend to take one or two frilly elements and mix them with everyday things. The Dolly Kei or Mori look is not really the Lolita shape but I like them because they can be a little raggedy & not perfect. Mori fashion seems to be about a girl living in the woods like Little Red Riding Hood & Dolly Kei makes me think of slightly creepy little gypsy dolls. Lots of fun, and the silks and velvets in the fall & winter are perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment